[Python-Dev] python-dev Summary for 2003-01-01 through 2003-01-15

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:02:50 -0500

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003, Brett Cannon wrote:

> ==================
> `Holes in time`__
> ==================
> __ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-January/031836.html
>
> Tim Peters brought up an inherent problem with the new datetime_ type and
> dealing with timezones and daylight savings.  Imagine when DST starts; the
> clock jumps from 1:59 to 3:00.  Now what happens if someone enters a time
> that does  not use DST?  The implementation has to handle the possibility
> of something inputting 2:00 and instantly pushing forward an hour.  But
> what is worse is when DST ends.  You go from 1:59 back to 1:00!  That
> means you pass over everything from 1:00 to 1:59 twice during that day.
> Since it is flat-out impossible to tell, what should be done in this case?
>
> Originally ``datetime`` raised ValueError.  It seems to be staying that
> way (after a *very* lengthy discussion clarifying the whole situation).

Unless Tim/Guido changed their minds yet again, I believe that we agreed
that the conversion should in fact go through 1:00am to 1:59am twice.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"I used to have a .sig but I found it impossible to please everyone..."  --SFJ