[Python-Dev] make install failing with current cvs

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:02:38 +0100

On zondag, jan 19, 2003, at 19:14 Europe/Amsterdam, Martin v. L=F6wis=20
wrote:

> Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl> writes:
>
>> The compileall step gets TabError
>> exceptions for these files, and this causes it to finally exiting =
with
>> a non-zero exit status.
> [...]
>> I've looked around and I think patch 661719 has something to do with
>> this, but I'm not sure.
>
> It does: Any kind of SyntaxError would be ignored in compileall, now
> it causes a non-zero exist status (although compileall continues after
> the error)
>
> If this is desired, I can restore it to let SyntaxErrors pass silently
> again.

No, I think it's a good idea if syntax errors in the standard library=20
cause "make install" to fail. But site-python is a bit of an exception.=20=

And especially in the case of Holier-Than-Thou-Tab-Usage checking.

I like Guido's suggestion of using '-tt' only in Lib proper and=20
compiling site-python without it (possibly with '-t', but maybe not=20
even that?). I haven't looked at whether this is doable with=20
compileall.py, though...
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com>       =20
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -