[Python-Dev] Re: logging package -- rename warn to warning?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:15:09 -0500

> >>OK, that's fine - warning/WARNING it is. For consistency, though, we should
> >>also lose fatal/FATAL which are currently synonyms for critical/CRITICAL.
> >
> > Yes, except I find fatal/FATAL so much easier to write.  Do we really
> > need the "political correctness" of critical/CRITICAL?
>
> Are you seriously arguing for saving a few keystrokes?  After adding
> three to warn? =)

Not at all.  I think I've seen many loggers with a series of levels
going something like warning, error, fatal.  I've never seen 'critical'
before in this context.  Thus I find that it takes more mental work to
remember or interpret 'critical' than 'fatal'.

> It's not political correctness, it's technical correctness.  I say do it
> right for all the calls or leave it as is (or revert to Java compatibility).

I know that 'critical' is technically more correct, but somehow I
don't care.