[Python-Dev] disable writing .py[co]

holger krekel pyth@devel.trillke.net
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:47:41 +0100

Michael Hudson wrote:
> Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com> writes:
>
> > Here's a slightly different alternative.  (It woke me up this morning, so I
> > know it's a good idea. ;-)
> >
> > Instead of an environment variable which functions simply as an on/off
> > switch, add an environment variable named PYCROOT which can be used to
> > control writing of .pyc files as follows:
> >
> >     * if not present, status quo
> >
> >     * if present and refers to an existing directory, prepend PYCROOT to any
> >       attempts to read or write .pyc files.
>
> The idea of writing .pycs to a world writable area (say /tmp) on a
> multi-user system sounds like a Bad Thing.

Then don't do it :-)  It's very well possible to set an environment
variable for each user and point it to a per-user area (with proper
permissions and all).

If adding an environment variable at all then i think Skip's idea
has some virtues.  Actually i'd prefer to have a runtime call
to control writing and/or usage of .pyc files.

    holger