[Python-Dev] Adding Japanese Codecs to the distro

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:07:10 +0100

Atsuo Ishimoto wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 17:05:21 +0100
> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> wrote:
>

>>I'm not biased in any direction here. Again, I'd love to see the
>>two sets be merged into one, e.g. take the Python ones from Hisao
>>and use the C ones from Tamito if they are installed instead.
>
> Here again, I entreat to add Tamito's C version as standard Japanese
> codec. It's fast, is proven quite stable and correct.
>
> If people need to customize mapping table(this may happen in some cases,
> but not common task. I believe almost 100% of Japanese programmers never
> had wrote such a special mapping table), and if they think Tamito's
> codec is too difficult to customize(while I don't think so), and only if
> they are satisfied with performance of codec written in Python, they
> will download and install the Python version of codec.

Wouldn't it be better to use Hisao's codec per default and revert
to Tamito's in case that's installed in the system ?

We also need active maintainers for the codecs. I think ideal
would be to get Hisao share this load -- Hisao for the Python
version and Tamito for the C one.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH