[Python-Dev] Re: GadflyDA in core? Or as add-on-product?

Stuart Bishop zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:13:43 +1100

On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 08:22  AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>>> Would you be willing to find out (from c.l.py) how much interest
>>> there is in this?
>>
>> A fairly positive response from the DB SIG. The trick will be to fix
>> the outstanding bugs or disable those features (losing the 'group
>> by' and 'unique' SQL clauses), and to confirm and fix any departures
>> from the DB-API 2.0 standard, as this would become a reference
>> implementation of sorts.
>>
>> There is no permanent maintainer, as Richard Jones is in more of a
>> caretaker role with the code. I'll volunteer to try and get the code
>> into a Python release though.
>>
>> If fixes, documentation and tests can be organized by the end of
>> January for alpha2, will this go out with Python 2.3 (assuming a
>> signoff on quality by python-dev and the DB-SIG)? If not, Jim is
>> back to deciding if he should include Gadfly with Zope3.
>
> Sorry for not responding before.  I'm open for doing this, but you
> should probably probe python-dev next before you start a big coding
> project.  How much C code is involved in Gadfly?  If it's a lot, I'm a
> lot more reluctant, because C code usually requires much more
> maintenance (rare is the C source file that doesn't have some hidden
> platform dependency).

Gadfly comes with kjbuckets, which is written in C. The rest is Python.
Gadfly uses the included kjbuckets for storage if it is available, but
happily runs without it with a performance hit. So Jython gets a
RDBMS implementation too.

--
Stuart Bishop <zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au>
http://shangri-la.dropbear.id.au/