[Python-Dev] Re: GadflyDA in core? Or as add-on-product?

Stuart Bishop zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:57:17 +1100

On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 11:21  AM, Brett Cannon wrote:

> [Stuart Bishop]
>
>>> Sorry for not responding before.  I'm open for doing this, but you
>>> should probably probe python-dev next before you start a big coding
>>> project.  How much C code is involved in Gadfly?  If it's a lot, I'm
>>> lot more reluctant, because C code usually requires much more
>>> maintenance (rare is the C source file that doesn't have some hidden
>>> platform dependency).
>>
>> Gadfly comes with kjbuckets, which is written in C. The rest is
>> Python.
>> Gadfly uses the included kjbuckets for storage if it is available, but
>> happily runs without it with a performance hit. So Jython gets a
>> RDBMS implementation too.
>>

> So my first question is what is the license on Gadfly?  I assume it is
> compatible with going into Python, but I thought I would ask.

Use granted for any purpose without fee, provided the Copyright and
permission
notices appear in all copies and supporting documentation.

> Next, how much of a performance hit is there without kjbuckets?  I am
> with
> Guido with wanting to minimize the amount of C code put into the
> libraries
> where there is no requirement for it.  And if there is a decent hit
> what
> would it take to code up something in Python to replace it?  We could
> leave it as an option to use kjbuckets if we want.

The fallback already is a version of kjbuckets written in pure Python.
So the build process simply needs to keep going if kjbucketsmodule.c
doesn't build. The regression tests during alpha and beta releases
should tell us if we need to switch off kjbuckets on certain platforms,
although it already has had a decent work out since Gadfly has been
part of Zope since at least 2.0 (3+ years?)

> And if taking out kjbuckets is unreasonble, what license is it under?

Same licence.

--
Stuart Bishop <zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au>
http://shangri-la.dropbear.id.au/