[Python-Dev] disable writing .py[co]

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
22 Jan 2003 09:32:02 +0100

barry@python.org (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:

> I don't think there is one.  Maybe Matthias is concerned that unlike
> the other source files in the Mailman distro, mm_cfg.py is supposed to
> be where users configure the system, so it may change more frequently
> than other files (although still rare, I'd guess).  It'll definitely
> change after the initial install+compileall step.

The real problem here is that some people don't want Python to write
any .pyc files, period. So even if mailman byte-compiles all its
source code, it can't stop Python from writing .pyc files that belong
to mailman. That, in turn, can cause the problems discussed in this
thread: there might be races in doing so, it might trigger security
alarms, and it might write byte code files in configuration areas of
the system where only text files are allowed, per policy.

Regards,
Martin