[Python-Dev] Adding Japanese Codecs to the distro

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
22 Jan 2003 11:18:15 +0100

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

> The problem I see is size: Tamito's codecs have an installed
> size of 1790kB while Hisao's codecs are around 81kB.

It isn't quite that bad: You need to count the "c" directory only,
which is 690kB on my system.

> That's why I was suggesting to use Hisao's codecs as default and
> to revert to Tamito's in case they are installed (much like you'd use
> cStringIO instead of StringIO if it's installed).

The analogy isn't that good here: it would be more similar if StringIO
was incomplete, e.g. would be lacking a .readlines() function, so you
would have no choice but to use cStringIO if you happen to need
.readlines().

Regards,
Martin