[Python-Dev] Adding Japanese Codecs to the distro

Atsuo Ishimoto ishimoto@gembook.org
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:25:17 +0900

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:29:54 +0100
"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> wrote:

> The problem I see is size: Tamito's codecs have an installed
> size of 1790kB while Hisao's codecs are around 81kB.

You cannot compare size of untared files here. Tamito's codecs package
contains source of C version and Python version.  About 1 MB in 1790kB
is size of C sources.

So, I'm proposing to add only C version of codec from JapaneseCodecs
package. As I mentioned, size of C version is about 160 KB in Win32
binary form, excluding tests and documentations. I don't see a
significant difference between them.

If size of C sources(about 1 MB) is matter, we may be able to reduce it.

> That's why I was suggesting to use Hisao's codecs as default and
> to revert to Tamito's in case they are installed (much like you'd use
> cStringIO instead of StringIO if it's installed).

Hmm, I assume cStringIO is installed always. I use StringIO only if I
want to subclass StringIO class.

Atsuo Ishimoto
ishimoto@gembook.org
Homepage:http://www.gembook.jp