[Python-Dev] Adding Japanese Codecs to the distro

Hye-Shik Chang perky@fallin.lv
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 21:49:45 +0900

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 01:06:47PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
[snip]

> degas site-packages/japanese# du
> 337     ./c
> 1252    ./mappings
> 88      ./python
> 8       ./aliases
> 1790    .
>
> Hisao's Python codec is only 85kB in size.
>
> Now, if we took the only the C version of Tamito's codec, we'd
> end up with around 1790 - 1252 - 88 = 450 kB. Still a factor of
> 5...
>
> I wonder whether it wouldn't be possible to use the same tricks
> Hisao used in his codec for a C version.

The trick must not be used in C version. Because C codecs need to keep
both of encoding and decoding maps as constants so that share texts
inter processes and load the data only once in the whole system.
This does matter for multiprocess daemons especially.

    Hye-Shik =)