[Python-Dev] Extended Function syntax

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
22 Jan 2003 17:50:13 +0000

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:

> A while ago there was a proposal floating around to add an optional
> part to function/method definitions, that would replace the current
> clumsy classmethod etc. notation, and could be used for other purposes
> too.  I think the final proposal looked like this:
>
>   def name(arg, ...) [expr, ...]:
>       ...body...

That was the one I came up with.

> Does anyone remember or know where to find the thread where this
> proposal was discussed?  It ought to be turned into a PEP.

I think it was here on python-dev.  I was going to turn it into a PEP,
but thought I'd wait until 2.3 was done.

<googles>

Discussion here:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2002-February/020005.html

The patch linked to in that mail still applies, remarkably enough; I
haven't tested whether it *works* recently...

Cheers,
M.

--
  Now this is what I don't get.  Nobody said absolutely anything
  bad about anything.  Yet it is always possible to just pull