[Python-Dev] Adding Japanese Codecs to the distro

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 21:36:17 +0100

Tamito KAJIYAMA wrote:
> Atsuo Ishimoto <ishimoto@gembook.org> writes:
> |
> | (cc'ing another Tamito's mail addr. Tamito, are you wake up?)
>
> Sorry for the late participation.  Things go fast and my thought
> is very slow...

Thanks for joining in. I had hoped to hear a word from you
on the subject :-)

> I know the python-dev list is a highly technical place of
> discussions, but I'd like to explain my personal situation and
> related matters.
>
> On my situation: I'm a doctoral candidate and my job has come to
> a very tough period.  I do want to volunteer for the great task
> of incorporating JapaneseCodecs into the Python distro, but I'm
> not sure that I have enough spare time to do it.  I don't want
> to admit I cannot do that, but it's very likely.
>
> On the efficiency of my codecs: Honestly speaking, the
> priorities with regard to time and space efficiencies during the
> development of JapaneseCodecs were very low.  I believe there is
> much room for improvements.  The set of mapping tables in the
> pure Python codecs would be the very first candidate.

Ok, how about this: we include the C versions of your codecs
in the distribution and you take over maintenance as soon
as time permits.

Still, I'd would love to see some further improvement of the
size and performance of the codecs (and maybe support for the
new error callbacks; something which Hisao has integrated
into his codecs).

Would it be possible for you two to team up for the further
developement of the Japanese codecs ?

Perhaps Hye-Shik Chang could join you in the effort, since he's
the author of the KoreanCodecs package which has somewhat
similar problem scope (that of stateful encodings with a huge
number of mappings) ?

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg