[Python-Dev] Proto-PEP regarding writing bytecode files

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:12:57 -0600

    >> In the absence of this proposal, what happens today if a source file
    >> is located in a zip file and there is no bytecode with it?  Does a
    >> bytecode file get written?  If so, is it actually inserted into the
    >> zip file?

    Paul> There is no writing. Zipfiles are treated as read-only.

That's fine with me, which means PEP 304 addresses a potential need for that
community.

    Paul> In particular, the PEP needs to say something about what, if any,
    Paul> requirements it places on the writers of import hooks ("If an
    Paul> import hook attempts to cache compiled bytecode, in a similar way
    Paul> to the builtin filesystem support, then it needs to check the
    Paul> environment variable, and...")
    >>
    >> I'll save your message, but I'd like to defer this issue for the time
    >> being.

    Paul> That's entirely reasonable, but it needs to be looked at at some
    Paul> point. Can I suggest an "Open issues" section for now?

Sure.  I'll add one.

    >> I don't understand.  Are you saying imp.find_module()'s results are
    >> undefined or that it simply doesn't exist?

    Paul> Read [PEP 302] for details, ...

Will do.

    Paul> In all honesty, though, the whole issue of locating a module's
    Paul> source code is an open one. There's a new module in 2.3a1 (can't
    Paul> recall the name) which is designed to help with the problem. Guido
    Paul> wrote it when the problem became evident with zip imports. It
    Paul> should probably be updated to cope with this change, and the PEP
    Paul> should refer to it.

I remember something (in the sandbox perhaps).  I'll scrounge around for it.