[Python-Dev] Looking for a Windows bsddb fan

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
24 Jan 2003 10:13:45 +0100

Tim Peters <tim.one@comcast.net> writes:

> It's been running a long time, and unittest doesn't show what's wrong before
> it's all done (and it's not done yet, so no clue here).  Maybe it's shallow.
> Plain test_bsddb passes.

I suggest not to worry about this too much. I get the impression that
the bsddb3 test suite is quite harsh, and that it makes assumptions
(e.g. about how threads interleave) that hold only on the system of
the author of the test. It also seems that once a test failed in an
unpredicted manner (e.g. by not giving back a lock it holds),
subsequent tests will fail.

I have settled to wait for user cooperation, here: the "plain" bsddb
modus seems to work fine, the problems only occur if you use advanced
features like locking and transactions. If people stumble over it,
some may contribute patches for 2.3.1.

Before someone complains about this attitude: I do believe that there
ain't any backward compatibility issues with those bugs, i.e. code
that used to work with 2.2 will continue to work. You have to
deliberately make use of the new features to run into the new bugs.

Regards,
Martin