[Python-Dev] Proto-PEP regarding writing bytecode files

Moore, Paul Paul.Moore@atosorigin.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:53:25 -0000

From: Skip Montanaro [mailto:skip@pobox.com]
> At any rate, I believe I incorporated everybody's suggestions
> (thanks for the feedback) and checked it in as pop-0304 (the
> number David Goodger assigned me).  You can now grab it from
> CVS or view it online at
>
>    =
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/python/nondist/peps=
/pep-0304.txt

> More feedback is welcome.  Once the uproar^H^H^H^H^H^Hfeedback
> dies down a bit, I will look at implementing the idea.

Reading this, it seems to me that this could probably be
implemented by an import hook. Just's plan is to expose the
(currently internal) filesystem module loading code as a
hook for 2.3a2. If you discuss this with him, I'd imagine
that it would be possible to

a) Ensure that however it gets exposed, it has enough
   customisability to allow you to implement this feature
b) Actually implement this feature as an import hook, which
   could then be loaded by people who need it, and ignored
   by people (like me) who don't care.

The PEP still needs an entry in the Issues section for import
hooks. For now, just putting "Not clear how this interacts
with import hooks" should be enough...

Paul.