[Python-Dev] Mixed-type datetime comparisons

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:13:43 +0100

Tim Peters wrote:
> [TIm]
>
>>Note that this doesn't help for mixed-type time or timedelta comparison:
>>datetime's time and timedelta objects don't have timetuple methods
>>themselves, and their comparison implementations still raise TypeError
>>whenever they don't recognize the other comparand's type (this
>>is needed to prevent comparison against objects of arbitrary types from
>>falling back to the default comparison of object addresses).
>

> [M.-A. Lemburg]
>
>>Why not add them (setting the date parts to None) ?
>
> Because they're of no use, and at least timedelta.timetuple() wouldn't even
> make hallucinogenic sense (a timetuple is in units of days, seconds and
> microseconds).

Yes... I don't see your point :-) (mxDateTime has DateTime and
DateTimeDelta types; no Time type because it's not needed)

If the name bothers, you why not define a different eye-catcher, e.g.
datetime.tuple(), time.tuple() and timedelta.tuple() ?! (or whatever
you prefer)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH