[Python-Dev] Extension modules, Threading, and the GIL

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 09:22:13 -0600

    James> I originally sent this as private mail to David, but he suggested
    James> I repost it here as well.

    James> 2. GTK has a signal system to handle notifications.  Arbitrary
    James>    numbers of callbacks can be attached to signals.  PyGTK has a
    James>    generic marshal function to handle all signal callbacks, which
    James>    uses introspection to handle the different signatures.

I won't make any attempt to understand the threading issues James
identified, but will point out for those python-dev readers unfamiliar with
GTK that its signals are really nothing like Unix signals.  It's more like a
software bus.  A GTK programmer attaches listeners to the bus and when the
appropriate signal comes down the bus listeners interested in that signal
respond.

Skip