[Python-Dev] Extended Function syntax

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:27:08 +0000

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:

> [me]
>> def foo [property]:
>>
>> anyone?  Probably relying on the difference between [ and ( kills it.
>
> Yes.
>
> How about
>
>   foo = property:

Well on a purely instinctive level, I think it's horrible.

What does it do?  I seem to have missed a concise explanation, and
a few minutes of thread trawling hasn't found one.

In general I agree with Samuele: aiming for a one size fits all
sysntactic extension is fruitless unless it's essentially macros and I
thought consesnus was we didn't want them.

Cheers,
M.

--
  languages shape the way we think, or don't.
                                        -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp