[Python-Dev] Re: native code compiler? (or, OCaml vs. Python)

Graham Guttocks graham_guttocks@yahoo.co.nz
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:55:49 +1300 (NZDT)

Greg Ewing <greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

>> one glaring weakness is the absence of a high-performance native
>> code compiler. Are there any plans to develop this?
>
> This is asked fairly frequently, and the usual answer is "No, but
> you're welcome to volunteer." :-)

Really? It surprises me that after 10 years, this isn't something that
has been given more priority. Is the problem simply too difficult?

> There are some projects attacking parts of the problem, however,
> e.g. Psyco.

I've looked at Psyco, but it seems treated like an ad-hoc red-headed
stepchild. Why isn't something this made part of Python?

It would be nice to use Python for more serious projects, but it isn't
fast enough currently.

=====
Regards,
Graham