[Python-Dev] Re: native code compiler? (or, OCaml vs. Python)

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:21:34 +0100

Graham Guttocks wrote:

> e.g, what if I wanted to write an httpd daemon that could scale as
> well as Apache (millions of hits/day)? Python would not be up to
> the task. A language like CMUCL or OCaml would be, because they offer
> a native code compiler.

For the record, I just ran a quick benchmark against Apache and Twisted
(pure Python) using 'ab' (the Apache benchmark tool) and Twisted wins
hands down. Here are the results of ab -n 1000 and ab -n 10000 for each:

  http://just.letterror.com/~just/apachebench.txt
  http://just.letterror.com/~just/twistedbench.txt

The Twisted-based server I set up is very basic, Apache uses the default
configuration as it came with my OS (MacOSX.2.3).

Just