[Python-Dev] python2.3 on m68k-nommu uClinux, really slow

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 00:09:38 +0100

Brad Clements wrote:
> I'm sorry if this is OT. I have just managed to get Python 2.3a running on an 8meg
> m68k-nommu 48MHZ (motorola uC5272 board).
>
> It's a real dog, and I'm wondering two things:
>
> 1. anyone remember pystone values from old Sun 68K machines?  I've seen a report
> that a Psion 5 running 1.5.2 got 90 pystones (I get 72)
>
> 2. any ideas how I can speed this up?
>
> OPT=-DNDEBUG -g -O0 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes   -m5307
>

> Some snips from pyconfig.h:
>
> #define WITH_DOC_STRINGS
> #undef Py_DEBUG
> #define WITH_PYMALLOC

I'd try to trim down the memory footprint of the interpreter as far as
possible, e.g. rip out doc-strings and more or less everything you
don't really need.

> I haven't enabled optimatization yet because I've had such a difficult time even getting
> this far, I didn't want to run into compiler errors.
>
> It seems so slow, that test/testall doesn't even produce any output. At least, not after 2
> minutes.. Perhaps that's a buffering issue.
>
> # ./python pystone.py
> nulltime  0.04
> Pystone(1.1) time for 600 passes = 8.27
> This machine benchmarks at 72.5514 pystones/second

Hmm, are you sure you want to invest more time in this ? ...

Python/Dev-Python> pythondev Lib/test/pystone.py
Pystone(1.1) time for 50000 passes = 2.48
This machine benchmarks at 20161.3 pystones/second

What's the application space that you intend to use Python for
on that platform ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH