[Python-Dev] Property syntax (Re: [Python-Dev] Extended Function syntax)

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:26:58 -0500

> Some more thoughts on property syntax...

Actually I was attempting to find a solution not just for properties
but for other situations as well.  E.g. someone might want to define
capabilities, or event handlers, or ...

> (1) It's a pity "access" was revoked as a keyword, since
> it would have fitted quite well:
>
>   access foo:
>     def __get__(self):
>     def __set__(self, x):
>
> Is there any chance it could be reinstated?

Not really.  Anyway, I don't know what you expect the above to do.

> (2) Maybe "property" could be recognised as a pseudo-keyword
> when it's the first word of a statement inside a class
> definition.

See above.  I'd like to find something that goes beyond properties.