[Python-Dev] Re: Extended Function syntax

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:11:09 -0500

> Personally I would find the addition of:
>
> 1) [] extendend function syntax to def (and possibly class and 2)

This is separate.

> 2) a statement that captures and extends what class does now ("my" proposal)

Can you remind me of this?

> 3) a 'with' statement for semantics like those of CL with- macros
> (Michael Hudson has some ideas on this)

I'd like to hear more about this.

> more pythonic.

Pythonic is as pythonic does.  Or, as was said in another thread, talk
is cheap. :-)

> General syntax extensibility is another level of identity crisis for
> the language <wink>.

Agreed.  We're not going there.  But I admit I'm inspired by Ruby's
blocks (poorly explained though their exact semantics are in the Ruby
literature I've come across).