[Python-Dev] the new 2.3a1 settimeout() with httplib and SSL

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:24:14 -0500

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003, Geoffrey Talvola wrote:
> Ben Laurie [mailto:ben@algroup.co.uk] wrote:
>>
>> Doesn't seem quite right to me yet - the problem is that if data
>> arrives 1 byte at a time with just less than the timeout between each
>> byte, then you can get n*timeout as the actual timeout (where n is
>> potentially very large). You need to reduce the timeout after each
>> select, surely?
>
> Hmmm.  The question is, how should the timeout be interpreted?
>
> The patch I submitted interprets it as the timeout for activity on the
> underlying socket itself, since that's the object on which you set
> the timeout by calling sock.settimeout().  You're suggesting that it
> should be interpreted as the timeout for the call to read() or write()
> on the ssl object, which involves potentially many separate socket
> operations.
>
> Anyone else have any opinion on the correct interpretation?  I lean
> toward the one I've already implemented, since it requires no new work
> :-)

I'm in favor of it referring to network activity, since that's the
interpretation used by non-SSL timeouts.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours."  --Richard Bach