[Python-Dev] Re: Problem with 2.3b2 tarfile?

Harri Pasanen harri.pasanen@trema.com
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 10:08:08 +0200

On Monday 30 June 2003 23:19, Fran=E7ois Pinard wrote:
> [Jeff Epler]
>
> > the 100-char limit is traditional?
>
> Traditional.  POSIX extends the limit somewhat, but the rules are
> very strange.  There are two separated fields in the header, and
> whenever the second field is non-empty, a slash is to be _implied_
> between both, so you cannot cut the path string anywhere.

On HP-UX 11.x you hit the same problem than on Solaris, with a bit=20
different error message:

bash-2.05a$ /usr/bin/tar xf Python-2.3b2.tar
tar: ././@LongLink - cannot create
tar: ././@LongLink - cannot create
=2E..

I've run into the same problem with our in-house software - my=20
solution was to use HP-UX 11.x tar to create the archive, both GNU=20
tar and posix tar will correctly unpack it.

Harri