[Python-Dev] What is "installed"?

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 18:24:06 +1000

> So how do Python developers deal with these issues?  Is there a
> smoother way?  Am I making life difficult for myself?

I generally setup the registry, by adding an "InstallPath" key.  Most
extensions then work correctly, including distutils.  Now that we have the
"_winreg" module, we should include a simple script you can run to setup
everything you need.

FYI, all you should need is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.3\InstallPath:
pydir

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.3\PythonPath:
pydir\lib;pydir\pcbuild

where:
* "pydir" is the path to main Python directory - ie, parent of "PCBuild",
"Modules" etc
* The "2.3" is actually available in sys.winver
* The "PythonPath" entry is generally not needed, except in embedding
situations where the Python DLL isn't in the main Python build directory.

Mark.