[Python-Dev] Need help with urllib/urllib2 (SF bug 549151)

John J Lee jjl@pobox.com
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:02:27 +0100 (BST)

Guido wrote (in SF tracker for bug #549151):
> Feel free to assign this to yourself if you want to grab it.

If this was directed at me: I'm not a Python SF admin.  I'm happy to
re-check & apply the patches, but it's up to you to decide whether it's
worth the bother to add me as an admin just for that one thing.

I suppose I do have some other urllib2 patches-in-progress, but no obvious
need for me to be an admin for that, either.  Incidentally, one of the
patches, RFE 759792 (which I posted recently), eliminates the need for
most of my other patches, since they can then be written as classes to be
passed to urllib2.build_opener, as if they were handler classes.  I'd be
grateful for any comments on that (I know, wait until 2.3 is out...).
[Most of the others are either unposted as yet or only posted as
place-holders.]

BTW, I guess it's too late to get rid of urllib2.Request.get_method, since
that got into 2.2.3.  [It's true that, thanks to yours truly, 2.2.3's
urllib2 is broken (there's a typo in the redirect code, believe it or
not), but that doesn't make it OK to introduce a new method, then
immediately yank it out again, I suppose!]

John