[Python-Dev] Cross Compiling

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
20 Jul 2003 23:33:50 +0200

Adam Langley <lists.pythondev@imperialviolet.org> writes:

> The configure script (for 2.2.3 at least) has defaults for its tests
> of sizeof(int) and the like which are completely broken for cross
> compiling. (They are generally values for a 32-bit system).

The configure script really isn't meant for cross-compilation; you
always have to adjust pyconfig.h manually. It may be possible to
improve the code, but it can't be fully automatic.

> So can I suggest a better(?) way of doing this (for systems with a GNU
> toolchain at least):

Please suggest that to the autoconf maintainers. We use standard
autoconf macros for that, and we should continue to do so, so we can
pick up any improvements they make to these macros.

Regards,
Martin