[Python-Dev] cygwin errors

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:28:17 -0400

[Tim]
>> I've got a bad feeling that we may have a wild store (or such like)
>> in 2.3.  A day or two ago, Jeremy got a senseless and irreproducible
>> error when running a ZODB test after compiling with 2.3 CVS, and just
>> now I tried running regrtest with -r on Win98SE (-r randomizes test
>> case order).  That triggered an error I've never seen before and
>> can't reproduce:
>>
>> test test_time failed -- Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "C:\CODE\PYTHON\lib\test\test_time.py", line 49, in
>>     test_strptime self.fail('conversion specifier: %r failed.' %
>>   format) File "C:\CODE\PYTHON\lib\unittest.py", line 260, in fail
>>     raise self.failureException, msg
>> AssertionError: conversion specifier: ' %c' failed.

[Jason Tishler]
> Just to confirm, the above is Win32 Python -- not Cygwin.  Right?

Yes, it was Win32 Python -- and also Jeremy's Linux.  It "got fixed" by
focing the locale to "C" at the end of test_logging.py.  That's probably not
a correct fix, just a bandaid.  Brett is on vacation, and I have no real
idea what strptime is trying to do with locale; it appears to be a bug that
strptime tries to be locale-independent but that the strptime test in
test_time.py fails if test_logging (which changes the locale) isn't hacked
to force locale (back?) to "C" at its end.