[Python-Dev] optparse 1.4.2 in 2.3: any chance?

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:22:08 -0400

[Greg Ward]
> I'm so out of the loop I didn't even know 2.3c1 was out until I
> checked www.python.org/2.3 tonight.  ;-(  Unfortunately, I was really
> really hoping to get Optik up to version 1.4.2 in time for Python
> 2.3.  The only changes over 1.4.1 are various small refactorings to
> make Optik/optparse more easily extensible.  This should have no
> effect on people merely using optparse, and anyone extending it (ie.
> subclassing Option and/or OptionParser) will win -- unless they're
> extending it by doing evil things like replacing another module's
> globals.
>
> Given that I won't have a minute to work on this stuff until next
> Monday (July 28) at the earliest, do I have any hope of getting it
> into 2.3final?

If that's so, I'm afraid not.  We're trying like hell to get 2.3 final out
before August 1, to meet an Apple deadline (we're pretending their schedule
won't slip either, of course).  2.3c2 will be released this Thursday night,
and 2.3 final no later than the Thursday after, so 2.3c2 is the last chance
to put in anything that isn't a show-stopping critical bugfix.  2.3c2 will
be old news by Monday.