[Python-Dev] New branch for r23c2 work

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:13:01 +0200

On woensdag, jul 23, 2003, at 23:58 Europe/Amsterdam, Bill Janssen
wrote:

>> 1) It would be nice to find out what lookupd is up to during the loop.
>>    I couldn't find out how to get it to tell me (for one thing, the
>>    lookupd(8) manpage seems to be very out of date wrt. locating
>>    config info).
>>
>> 2) One obvious difference between the slow Python program and the fast
>>    C program is that Python has calls to bind() in between the calls
>>    to getaddrinfo()... maybe this (or something else) causes lookupd
>>    to toss its cache for some reason?
>
> I'm sure Jack has better data than this, but NetInfo can be the source
> of much delay, on 10.2.x, because it runs old and rather poorly
> written "plugins" to gather data to resolve address info.  The
> solution appears to be: make sure that your local NetInfo DB doesn't
> have a "locations" key, and that you have enabled "BSD Configuration
> Files", and disabled "NetInfo", using the "Directory Access" app.
> This can speed up address info lookups by two orders of magnitude.

You seriously overestimate me, Bill. "Jack" and "BSD" are the two words
I recognize in the paragraph above:-)

But seriously: I don't think this is the core problem (as C code that
we think is equivalent runs like a bat out of hell), and we can't really
ask people to muck with their configuration only to make Python
getaddrinfo()
calls run faster.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -