[Python-Dev] RE: test_strptime; test_logging; test_time failure

Brett C. drifty@alum.berkeley.edu
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:11:13 -0700

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Brett C.]
>
>>OK, then I am ripping out the caching mechanism and will have it
>>committed by midnight PT.
>

> It was a mistake to check this in without confirming first that it actually
> cured the problem.  In fact, the same failure still occurs when
> test_logging's restoration of locale is removed:

Yes, it was a mistake on my part.  This was an instance of me becoming
very frustrated with myself and just wanting to get this thing solved
and stop being the last nagging issue for this release.  Sorry to
everyone (and especially the plutocratic release team of Tim and Barry)
for causing all of this grief.

> There's no more time for this, so anything more should wait for 2.3.1.

Well, I think I found the actual problem.  Guess what the TimeRE had as
its parameter list for __init__ : ``locale_time = LocaleTime()`` .
Aaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!  I can't believe I didn't spot that sooner!  The damn
  caching was probably working but every instance was using the default
value that is created at module initialization instead of recreating it
on every instantiation of TimeRE.

Barry OK'ed fixing this and I am still going to leave the caching out.
I need to really go over this module and work on it with my new Dutch
knowledge of Python for 2.4 to get rid of these nagging newbie mistakes
that I initially made in this module.

-Brett