[Python-Dev] 2.3.1

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 19:00:30 -0400

[Kurt B. Kaiser]
> [KBK]
>> Two separate issues:
>
>> 1. Failure of IDLE to initialize its subprocess doesn't result in a
>>    message visible to the user.
>
> A message can be displayed to the user if we configure the Windows
> installer to bind the IDLE icon to python.exe instead of pythonw.exe.
> That way a DOS box will open behind IDLE and any messages will be
> visible there.  This is a small patch.

Sorry, that one isn't a possibility.  After 3 years and 50 comments and at
least a dozen attempts by Tk wizards to fix it, I finally gave up on this
bug report, and closed it as hopeless:

    Programs using Tkinter sometimes can't shut down (Windows)
    http://www.python.org/sf/216289

The only known workaround is never opening Tcl/Tk clients with python.exe.