[Python-Dev] 2.3.1

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 19:54:44 -0400

[Kurt B. Kaiser]
> A very restricted change to the code would be add the following
> to the banner printed at the top of the shell when it starts (the
> socket connection isn't made until the shell window opens):

> Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE
> makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback
> interface.  This connection is not visible on any external
> interface and no data is sent to or received from the Internet.
>
> This involves an addition to PyShell.py:PyShell.begin(), line 873.
>
> In addition, the .../idlelib/README.txt would be updated with the
> same message w/o the asterisks.

I think that's a great idea, and is all we really need for 2.3 final.  Barry
is the release manager now, so the final call is his, but I'm +1 on it.

> These are not the final solutions.  A pop-up for #1, everytime, and a
> pop-up for #2 on first use would be introduced into 2.3.1.  The above
> banner could be retained even after the popup is implemented, though
> I'm -1 on that.

Final solutions can be argued over after the final release.  On a box with
multiple profiles, is the proposed "first use" pop-up relative to the first
time IDLE is run, or to the first time a specific user runs IDLE?  I don't
even want to know the answer now (no time for this now), just trying to
suggest there may be issues with clever approaches.  Dirt-dumb is all we can
consider for 2.3 final.