[Python-Dev] Draft: 2.3 download page

Alex Martelli aleaxit@yahoo.com
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:12:28 +0200

On Sunday 27 July 2003 06:13 pm, Tim Peters wrote:
> > and several minor but critical bugs made it into the release.
>
> They'll be backported to 2.2.4 too, if anyone cares to make the effort.

Backporting bugs is a novel concept (no time to type the appropriate
wink fraction?-).

> In all, I'd like to see a lot less dubious negative editorializing in the
> release blurb.  It's a major release long in the making, and it is (thanks
> to the efforts of everyone on Python-Dev, and to Guido's reluctance to add
> new features to the core language this time) probably the best major
> release Python has ever had.  Even if it doesn't compile on a Cray SV1
> running UNICOS <wink>.

I entirely concur.  Admittedly using only "major" platforms -- Linux on
Intel-like CPU's, Windows -- I've been positively *amazed* at how solid
and reliable 2.3 has felt for the last 6 months or so, and I've been
unashamedly recommending it to everybody and their cousin.

Alex