[Python-Dev] PEP-317

Steven Taschuk staschuk@telusplanet.net
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 01:11:16 -0600

Quoth Raymond Hettinger:
  [...]
> But am -1000 on eliminating implicit instantiation before Py3.0.

The proposal is, in fact, to eliminate it in 3.0, and not before.
Is the PEP not clear on this point?

Btw, because I expect the implicit instantiation bit to be at
least somewhat controversial, I'd intended to have most of the
discussion on python-list.  (In fact, I just posted the PEP there,
before, sadly, noticing this thread.)  Should such discussion be
in py-dev instead?

  [...]
> I think it would only be fair to add:
>
>   "If this proposal is adopted, nearly every piece of non-trivial python
>    code that has ever been written would need to be revised or would
>    fail to run.  Likewise, most tutorial and book examples would also
>    fail."

Yes, it's a massively backwards-incompatible change.  But I get
the feeling I'm missing the point you're making by emphasizing the
fact.

Is the point that you think readers of the PEP won't understand
the scope of the backwards-incompatibility, and so the point
deserves more emphasis?  I'd thought it was obvious.

Is the point that you think it's too backwards-incompatible to be
implemented as early as 3.0?  If so, I'd like to hear it
explicitly, and also your thoughts on what kind of schedule, if
any, seems more appropriate.

--
Steven Taschuk                           staschuk@telusplanet.net
"I'm always serious, never more so than when I'm being flippant."