[Python-Dev] Re: PEP-317

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:51:17 +0100

"Phillip J. Eby" <pje@telecommunity.com> writes:

> At 10:48 AM 6/10/03 +1200, Greg Ewing wrote:
>> > I don't have a use case that breaks with this requirement (since you
>> > can always use multiple inheritance to make a desirable class
>> > raisable).
>>
>>What if the desirable class has a C layout that conflicts
>>with that of Exception?
>
> Can't Exception be "abstract" with respect to layout?

Already is:

>>> class EL(list, Exception):
...  pass
>>> issubclass(EL, list)
True
>>> issubclass(EL, Exception)
True

Exception and its subclasses are bona-fide old-style classes.  The
fact that they happen to be implemented in C doesn't change that.

Cheers,
M.

--
  This is an off-the-top-of-the-head-and-not-quite-sober suggestion,
  so is probably technically laughable.  I'll see how embarassed I