[Python-Dev] PEP-317

Steven Taschuk staschuk@telusplanet.net
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:10:11 -0600

Quoth Guido van Rossum:
  [...]
> That's a good idea, and I'd support a PEP on that topic more than PEP
> 317 (which IMO is unnecessary).

I agree it's unnecessary; even the bit about eliminating string
exceptions is unnecessary.  But I thought the important question
was whether the proposal represents a net improvement to the
language and can be achieved with acceptable migration pain.

Raymond's arguing the "excessive migration pain" angle quite well,
and if the PEP is to be accepted, I'll certainly have to make a
more convincing counter-argument on this point than I have so far.

I haven't seen any claim that it's a net worsening of the
language, though some feel the improvement is negligible.  (I
don't think I can change their minds if the PEP's existing
motivation text doesn't.)

But merely being unnecessary seems a weak criterion for rejection.

--
Steven Taschuk             "[W]e must be very careful when we give advice
staschuk@telusplanet.net    to younger people: sometimes they follow it!"