[Python-Dev] PEP-317

Steven Taschuk staschuk@telusplanet.net
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:06:48 -0600

Quoth Guido van Rossum:
  [...]
> I've never considered the two alternative raise syntaxes as a wart in
> the language that's important enough to fix.  The predicted migration
> pain seems excessive compared to the importance of the improvement.

Gotcha.

And, in case there's any doubt, I certainly agree that such an
objection is more than adequate reason to reject a PEP, and that I
haven't adequately met the objection (yet... he said hopefully).

> The only case I'm willing to impose excessive migration pain to fix a
> problem is when the problem is *really* unacceptable in the long run.
> I've decided that's the case for int division, for the difference
> between int and long, and for new-style vs. classic classes.
>
> I don't see raise C vs. raise C() to be in the same category.

I entirely agree that it isn't.

--
Steven Taschuk                  staschuk@telusplanet.net
"Telekinesis would be worth patenting."  -- James Gleick