[Python-Dev] Exception masking/chaining

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 17:39:26 -0400

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003, Christian Tismer wrote:

> I looked into the execution path of PyObject_GenericGetAttr.
> This first finds the type dictionary and sees if it can find
> something there. So access to special objects appears to be
> quite fast.
> The drawback is that only after searching all of the mro
> dicts, _PyType_Lookup gives up, and then the instance
> dict is inspected.

Yes.  Ping, Guido, and I were working on a patch for this, but stalled
when our solution generated slower results for attributes in the most
immediate base class.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it."  --Dijkstra