[Python-Dev] Where to put the interrupt module?

Kevin Jacobs jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:23:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Greg Ewing wrote:
> Kevin Jacobs <jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com>:
> > That chunk of code is very problematic.  Some platforms/threading libraries
> > will deliver a SIGINT to all threads, which can abort many system calls that
> > are not trivially restarted/restartable.
>
> But aren't we just talking about having one thread explicitly cause an
> asynchronous exception to be raised in another? That's a different
> thing from handling Unix signals.

Yes, but the implementation of these two things are somewhat intertwined.
I'm not saying that it will be hard to sort out; just that those working on
it should be aware of some of the potential pitfalls.  If due care isn't
taken, then the behavior of SIGINT delivery could change for all Unix-like
non-pthread platforms.

-Kevin

Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect
Voice: (216) 986-0710 x 19         E-mail: jacobs@theopalgroup.com
Fax:   (216) 986-0714              WWW:    http://www.theopalgroup.com