[Python-Dev] New PEP: 319

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:30:12 -0400

> there is also discussion at the moment of thread-synchronisation on
> the stackless python list.  people were considering ideas related to
> futures and csp (influenced largely by the oz language, i think).

If someone could summarize those ideas here, that would be great (I
have no time to read the oz reference manual, alas).

> maybe stackless, with its stronger emphasis on threads, is the place
> to iron out a really good solution to multi-threading before making
> changes to standard python?

Um, Stackless has a very different notion of threads than core
Python.  Stackless threads are non-pre-emptive and cannot be used for
overlapping I/O, I believe (at least not easily).

> personal opinion: while java may be better than python in this respect
> i think there are much better solutions out there.  i'm a java
> programmer and in my last project, which was multi-threaded, most bugs
> came from threading issues.

In any project that is multi-threaded, most bugs will come from
threading issues.  This is regardless of programming language -- it's
a deep, as yet ununderstood property of threads.