[Python-Dev] Can't compile _tkinter.c with Redhat 9 (post-SF#719880)

Jeff Hobbs jeff@hobbs.org
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:11:14 -0700

> From: Anthony Baxter
> > My ears were ringing for this one, so I thought I'd add some comments.
> > [exactly how RH screwed up Tcl/Tk]
>
> It's probably worth also noting that it seems like the RH9 version of
> tcl/tk leaks memory like a sieve. Running exmh, I see a leak of about
> 100Mbytes a day. So if you've got long running Tkinter processes, it'd
> pay to keep an eye on the memory consumption...

Leaks, or just consumes?  I mentioned in my previous email that it
appears that Tk does consume a lot of memory when using 32-bit
Tcl_UniChars.  Tk isn't completely leak-free, but it doesn't have
any known major leaks.  I don't know why increasing the size of a
Tcl_UniChar would start creating leaks (although it does seem to
consume more memory than it should just for that increase in data
size ... so it does require more examination).

  Jeff Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
  Senior Developer               http://www.ActiveState.com/