[Python-Dev] problem with assignment shadows builtin warning

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
16 Jun 2003 15:53:19 -0400

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 15:33, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> My initial reaction was that we should not have a deprecation warning
> for this kind of shadowing, but I'm growing less comfortable about the
> names.  I'd definitely complain about a top-level "import list"; I don't
> know why it is any better as a module within a package.

Guido observed that a top-level "import list" does not generate a
warning.  So regardless of the propriety of naming a module in a package
"list", it should not generate a warning.  I guess someone needs to
patch the import code to manipulate the parent namespaces in a way that
won't generate an exception.

Jeremy