[Python-Dev] Can't compile _tkinter.c with Redhat 9 (post-SF#719880)

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
16 Jun 2003 22:57:07 +0200

"Jeff Hobbs" <jeffh@ActiveState.com> writes:

> Right, and Unicode 4.0 is fresh out of diapers.  You can't even get
> the regular code charts yet, you have to view the 4.0 beta ones.  With
> 4.0 the non-BMP finally gets a notable amount of characters, but they
> are fairly weird ones that I'd be surprised to find a public font for.

Actually, Unicode 3.2 added most of them; Unicode 4.0 has only minor
additions. The biggest addition is the CJK unified ideographs in plane
2, which is of significance to a fifth of the world population,
potentially - these are all current characters (instead of being only
of scientific interest).

I agree that it will take a while to have fonts for these
available. However, unavailability of fonts should not stop us from
supporting such characters in the libraries. Characters must pass
through many processing steps before being rendered, and all of these
steps must work flawlessly. So I think it is a good thing to start
today, to have the application software ready by the time fonts become
available.

> > When I tested it, I found that it would break very easily. I was using
> > the Redhat procedure, though, so I might have made something wrong.
>
> Can you feed me some sample scripts offline to test with?

Will do, but it may take some time. It was so obvious to me that this
is not at all officially supported that I did not bother reporting it,
or taking notes.

Regards,
Martin