[Python-Dev] New PEP: 319

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:27:30 +1200 (NZST)

Michel Pelletier <michel@dialnetwork.com>:

> I belive the reverse, synchronize will reduce user error and deadlocking
> code.  with explicit locks programmers will forget, or become confused,
> with when and how to explicitly lock and unlock.  'synchronize' locks at
> the beginning of the block and unlocks at the end.  There is no
> forgetting.

It may prevent you from forgetting to release a lock, which
is probably a very useful thing, but there are other ways that
deadlocks can occur, such as when you need to acquire multiple
locks and aren't careful what order you acquire them in.
Not having to think explicitly about locks may increase the
frequency of that kind of problem.