[Python-Dev] Py2.3 Todo List

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
17 Jun 2003 23:00:03 +0200

"Raymond Hettinger" <raymond.hettinger@verizon.net> writes:

> 1) PEP 42 lists a request to add timeout settings to the higher level
>     net libraries.   Should this still be done?

No. It shouldn't be done wholesale, anyway, but with one protocol at a
time. Patches should get review, as this is tricky stuff.

> 2) Jack Diedrich is working on two patches for itertools:
>
>        itertools.window(iterable, n=2) --> (a0, a1), (a1, a2), (a2, a3), ...
>
>        itertools.roundrobin(*iterables) which loops over the iterables
>        returning one element from each and then cycles back to the
>        first until all of the iterables are exhausted:
>            itertools.roundrobin('ab', 'cde') --> a, c, b, d, e

We are approaching *beta* *2*. No new features, please. I find it much
more important to get the release published than enhancing the features.

Anybody with spare times at his hands should look into the
ever-growing backlog of bug reports. Some of the bugs are really bad,
much worse than the features would do good.

For example, to do something really useful, get rid of the recursion
in SRE (although this might be beyond the scope of a beta 2 as well).

> 3) difflib now has functions to create a context diff or unified diff.
> A natural next step is to add a patch() function that applies the diff
> and finishes the roundtrip.

No additions.

> 4) I've had a long outstanding patch to add methods like isalpha() to
> string objects.  The goal was to make sure that replacements exist
> for all the tools in the string module.  The hold-up has been in
> making UniCode equivalents.  If this is still wanted, I'll finish it up.

It is still wanted, and I'd encourage you to come up with a
patch. However, getting that patch into 2.4 might still be early
enough, and you might have to start today to finish it before the
first beta of 2.4.

Regards,
Martin