[Python-Dev] Py2.3 Todo List

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
21 Jun 2003 15:01:06 +0200

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

> > 4) I've had a long outstanding patch to add methods like isalpha() to
> > string objects.  The goal was to make sure that replacements exist
> > for all the tools in the string module.  The hold-up has been in
> > making UniCode equivalents.  If this is still wanted, I'll finish it up.
>
> Hmm, Unicode object already have these methods...

I think Raymond is talking about methods *like* isalpha :-) See patch
562501, he wants ispunct, isgraph, isprint, isctrl, isxdigit, i.e. all
ctype.h macros. Unicode objects don't support these, and the ctype.h
macros aren't available for them.

> I'd like to add another TODO to the list:
>
> 5) Add functions sys.setdefaultsourceencoding() and
>     sys.getdefaultsourceencoding() which allow setting and
>     querying the Python compiler's assumption about the
>     default source code encoding (currently ASCII) much in
>     the same way as sys.set/getdefaultencoding() work for
>     the internal string encoding assumption.

This should not go into 2.3 (just as the other features shouldn't go
there).

I personally envision that this is solved in a different way: Instead
of having a global setting, there should be a context-specific one,
for use in eval/exec, and interactive mode. The "default" encoding for
source code files should not be settable, and should remain at ASCII
forever.

Regards,
Martin