[Python-Dev] Py2.3 Todo List

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
21 Jun 2003 18:20:51 +0200

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

> It was planned for 2.3 several months ago. The fact that
> it isn't in there yet is mostly my fault: I didn't have time
> to cook up a patch and forgot to ask here for other
> volunteers.

You mean, this was your plan? I am not aware of such a plan, and it is
not part of the approved PEP 263. I would strongly object to such a
change.

> This feature is needed to calm down concerns of non-ASCII
> Python users who want to customize Python to better suit
> their needs for both educational and production use
> purposes.

People who want such a feature will have to fork Python. However, most
users will accept to put encoding declarations into their source code.
They will curse, and then they will get over it.

Regards,
Martin